Agenda for The Springs Community Alliance meeting Thursday April 11, 2013
1. Recap Town Hall meeting 7-7:20p
a. Review Town Hall attendee comments and suggestions
b. Discussion/recommendations for future Town Hall meetings
c. Selling the Alliance
2. Diversity and outreach 7:20-7:40p
3. Mission for Springs Alliance 7:40-8:00P
a. Community hub for collaborations
b. Quasi-legislative body
c. Representative body
d. Economic/business development group
4. HWY 12 8:00-8:20P
a. Update from Supervisor Gorin
b. Next steps for contacting property owners
5. Community announcements and setting May agenda 8:20-8:30p
Around a hundred community members turned out for our Springs Town Hall Meeting last Thursday, which centered around a community conversation with Supervisor Susan Gorin. It was a vibrant meeting and a potpourri of issues and ideas were raised, often passionately, by community members. Thomas O’Kane, Deputy Director of Transportation & Public Works and John Haig, Redevelopment Success Agency Manager were on hand to answer questions and provide information.
Here’s a list of some of the topics and ideas covered during the meeting, in some cases with some related web links:
- Preservation of “eclectic” and historic houses in the Springs
- Creating a historical walk through the Springs
- Fluoride in drinking water concerns (links: pros and cons)
- Access to and safety along Sonoma Creek
- The proposed Sonoma Springs Mixed-Use project and Community Health Center
- Getting the most out of Maxwell Park
- Highway 12- status of the improvement project, lighting, crosswalks, traffic congestion, parking, signage, scenic route…
- How important safe pedestrian access is to aging community members
- A pocket park at the old Clemente Inn (Mountain Ave) site?
- Preserving access to Sonoma Valley hills
Henry Ford said, “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” Thursday’s Town Hall meeting might mark a sort of new beginning for the Springs. We will be working hard over the upcoming months to help connect people who want to work together to tackle the important issues and advance the good ideas raised during the meeting. Please join us at our regularly monthly meetings on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7 to 9 pm at the Sonoma Valley Grange Hall if you want to help make this happen.
The Springs Community Alliance wishes to thank Supervisor Gorin for enthusiastically engaging with the Springs community and to Messrs. O’Kane and Haig for their participation at the Town Hall Meeting. Also thanks to the Sonoma Valley Grange providing the venue, Sonoma Mission Inn and Starbucks for refreshments and our dedicated volunteers who helped make the meeting possible.
You’re cordially invited to attend a Springs Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, March 14th, 2013 at the Sonoma Valley Grange. Supervisor Susan Gorin will join us for community conversation.
Bring your questions, concerns and wishes. This is a great chance to talk about issues that are important to the Springs Community.
Please join us from 7:00 to 9:00pm at the Sonoma Valley Grange, 18627 Sonoma Highway in the Springs. We’ll have light refreshments, compliments of Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn.
View Larger Map